News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

New Memember

Started by beau_dub_williams, October 29, 2013, 08:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beau_dub_williams

Hello! I hope you are all doing well. I am new to programming and assembly language. I read a book about C and learned about assembly language while learning C. Is there a good book that any one here would recommend? I have been on Amazon and seen several and they all seem to have their pros and cons but i was wondering if someone here with actual real world experience could point me in the right direction.

Thank you

dedndave

welcome to the forum   :t

save yourself some money and use online resources
in the upper-right corner of the forum is the link for the masm32 package
plenty of examples, help files, tutorials
also - many of us got started with Iczelion's tutorials - also available online

beau_dub_williams

beau_dub_williams

I have kip irvines book. I got it used for 12 bucks but I was wondering if there was a better book

dedndave

you can use the forum search tool for the terms "Kip", "Irvine", etc,
to find problems we've encountered helping people who are following Kip's book
Randy Hyde is another author - and a forum member - same thing, there
although, in recent years, Randy has stepped more toward HLL

beau_dub_williams

I have read about some of those  problems and i have set up masm32 to work with his library. I started to use visual studio but i prefer the masm32 ide because of its simple interface. Thank you for your quick response. 

Gunther

Hi beau_dub_williams,

welcome to the forum. Paul Carter is a good resource.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

Vortex

Hello beau_dub_williams,

Welcome to the Masm Forum.

Another tutorial by Mad Wizard :

http://www.madwizard.org/programming/tutorials/

beau_dub_williams

Thank you all very much. Your help is very much appreciated.

Zen

BEAU_DUB_WILLIAMS,   
I have the Fifth Edition of Kip Irvine's book, "Assembly Language for x86 Processors", and, we get a lot of inquiries here at the MASM Forum about the code in the book. Unfortunately, it's the only thing out there. I paid $120 for that edition, because I found a copy of it in the University of California library system. I wouldn't recommend it,...much of the book is obsolete (all the 16-bit stuff, which you can't really run on current versions of Windows anymore). I used it as a reference (for this it's good,...but, only for total beginners). The real problem is that Irvine's code is overly simplified and is designed to be used only with other routines the Irvine library. Many beginners attempt to use the Kip Irvine routines with the routines that you will find included with the MASM32 package (MASM32 example routines are superior). It's much better to just use the Intel Instruction Set documentation and the examples included with the MASM32 package.
...Also,...search the old MASM Forum archives (the zip attachments),...for lots of interesting, and useful demo programs. Look at the top of the Main MASM Forum page,...Forum Links,...Archive 1 and Archive 2 (Browse the old UK MASM Forum).
Zen

beau_dub_williams

Zen

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated!

jj2007

Hi Beau,

Nobody so far mentioned AoA, so here it is: Art of Assembly by Randall Hyde.

Check also my tips & tricks, it's a two-pager on some of the most common noob problems (you can ignore the green MasmBasic stuff).

Welcome to the forum :icon14: