Author Topic: US Presidential debate.  (Read 3173 times)

CodeDog

Re: US Presidential debate.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 12:44:51 AM »
I can agree with you Michael. I always agree with lowered eye brows, but sometimes we just need to agree with lowered eye brows.  :greensml:

anunitu

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 01:23:31 AM »
Truth be told,the only real numbers will come after the election is over. Voters in this country are so lemming like that they are easily lead around by their nose. Not enough voters actually think about the outcome,and tend to the style of a reality show like dancing with the stars. People don't realize just what their right to vote means,that and they do not consider that they have an obligation as citizens(that other countries do not even allow) to have a say as to how their Government acts. I do like the idea of compulsory voting,but it must be a thoughtful process of understanding of all the issues,and not just for what they want personally,but what is good and best for the country as a whole.   

CodeDog

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 02:02:09 AM »
If you convert the democratic process of voting into a computer program, it would be the perfect example of a pseudo random generator. Everybody have needs and everybody votes based on their needs. There is unlimited needs in a world of unlimited problems.  :greensml:

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
Hi anunitu,

I do like the idea of compulsory voting,but it must be a thoughtful process of understanding of all the issues,and not just for what they want personally,but what is good and best for the country as a whole.   

good spoken.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »
as we learned from the Florida debacle, the important numbers are related to the electoral college
a system which is long-overdue for an overhaul
in today's age of modern electronics, i think 1 voter = 1 vote would be a better system

Bill Cravener

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »
as we learned from the Florida debacle, the important numbers are related to the electoral college
a system which is long-overdue for an overhaul
in today's age of modern electronics, i think 1 voter = 1 vote would be a better system

I disagree Dave, according to the constitution the states are to elect the President not the general population. Our founding fathers, the writers of our constitution, never intended for the U.S to be a democracy. It is a representative republic. And the constitution was designed, including the Electoral College, to prevent the country from becoming a democracy. As a representative republic all citizens are equal and all are represented. Under a democracy the majority would rule. If we had majority rule the minority, in any given situation, would not have equal rights and protection as well as equal representation in Washington. Electoral votes are divided among an equal number of people each vote represents. So residents of Arizona have the same voice as Pennsylvanians. In fact it is the states that give you the right to vote, the constitution simply guarantees the states cannot discriminate on who they allow to vote. At least this is my understanding of it all. I think it would be unjust to elect a president simply on popularity.

CodeDog

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 03:28:10 AM »
The only real difference between a democracy and american republic is probably an uncertainty factor with the electoral college. In a democracy your vote counts directly in u.s republic your vote also count but the electoral can change their minds in the last minute. It is sort of a gambling effect, your vote counts but doesn't really count. In a democracy your vote cannot be invalidated. Not only can electorals change their mind and invalidate a single vote, they can swiftly and without mercy change the effect of millions of voters in a single call. I see this system as an attempt to make corruption more possible. The more segments you narrow down a system, the more easily can it be controlled by an elite.