Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

ML.EXE and LINK.EXE to use for SSE/4 opcodes

Started by frktons, November 20, 2021, 09:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frktons

Hello guys.

Having a new pc with i9 processor on win 10 pro 64 bit, I installed Visual Studio 2022 Community
Edition just to have a good editor and all the low level stuff (ML/LINK/LIB...) included.

MASM32 works with ML version 6.14 or something like this, and I would use the new ML version to
get access to new registers and SSE instructions.

Is there anything to be aware of using these new stuff with MASM32? Something that is not compatible maybe?

Thanks for any help
There are only two days a year when you can't do anything: one is called yesterday, the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and, above all, live.

Dalai Lama

Gunther

Quote from: frktons on November 20, 2021, 09:19:56 AM
Having a new pc with i9 processor on win 10 pro 64 bit, I installed Visual Studio 2022 Community
Edition just to have a good editor and all the low level stuff (ML/LINK/LIB...) included.

Congratulations. This is certainly a good machine.

Quote from: frktons on November 20, 2021, 09:19:56 AM
Is there anything to be aware of using these new stuff with MASM32? Something that is not compatible maybe?

Under Win32 you do not have the full set of XMM registers available - only xmm0 to xmm7. But you can use them.

If in doubt, check the Intel manuals and the Win32 API. Good luck and a lot of fun!
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

daydreamer

You also get newer resource compiler in vs2022 that is capable of handling compressed. Ico files, also note if you use wizard it's wchar as standard = unicode,winapis under the hood is the ones that end with W

Ml 6.14 that comes with masm32 handle only SSE, but with macros you use SSE2 and higher

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

TimoVJL

Just a note.
Quote from: daydreamer on November 20, 2021, 07:53:14 PM
You also get newer resource compiler in vs2022 that is capable of handling compressed. Ico files, also note if you use wizard it's wchar as standard = unicode,winapis under the hood is the ones that end with W
same as here The Windows SDK (10.0.22000) for Windows 11
May the source be with you

hutch--

Just be careful about willy nilly changing Microsoft binaries without testing them to see if they work the same as earlier versions. I currently run the VS2019 binaries which work fine in both 32 and 64 bit code, the next version appears to be OK but I have no idea of a Win 11 version. Make sure you fully test any later versions.

HSE

Quote from: hutch-- on November 20, 2021, 09:18:49 PM
Make sure you fully test any later versions.

I have exceptions at compilation using linker from VS2022 in debug mode. Apparently it is a problem of using libraries maked with a previous  binaries version. Problem solved using binaries from VS2019.
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

TimoVJL

Visual Studio 2022 masm support is same.
over project name right click and select Build dependencies -> Build customiztion and select masm (...)
May the source be with you

HSE

Thanks Timo!

But I never used VS for assembly, just binaries. It's interesting to have VS to build examples in C.
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

daydreamer

Quote from: HSE on November 21, 2021, 09:40:06 AM
Thanks Timo!

But I never used VS for assembly, just binaries. It's interesting to have VS to build examples in C.
If you code Inline asm,intellisense just annoys you with showing cpp suggestions, probably need a different file for asm mnemonics and registers suggestions
You can also use it for server side scripting, website, js
Editor handles unicode well,saves to unicode textfile if you want
like the debugger, Win10 complain and stops olly

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding